Our network

News

Putting the Brakes on the Stripper Mobile

The Stripper Mobile, which rolled down the Las Vegas Strip with live dancers in a see-through box, has run into a roadblock. The flashy ad gimmick may have backfired with Clark County leaders calling it a serious safety hazard and bringing it to a halt.

It appears the truck mobile has been grounded for good. After less than a month on the road, the peep show on wheels won't be hitting the Strip tonight.

And whether it turns you on or turns you off, one thing's for sure -- everyone on the Strip has an opinion about this latest version of the mobile billboard.

“It's good clean fun and our tourists are just enjoying it, taking pictures in front of it and sending them back home to say, ‘Hey, this is what's going on in Las Vegas,” said Andrea Brown with Deja Vu Love Boutique. “It's been very effective. It's brought more business into our clubs and our retail stores.”

New Year's Fireworks to Return to Hotel Rooftops

LAS VEGAS, Nv -- The New Year's fireworks show is returning to the rooftops of Las Vegas Strip hotels for the ringing in of 2010.

Last year, the fireworks were set off from the ground which made it more difficult to see the show from the Las Vegas Strip and other locations. As a result, there were many complaints.

The decision to move the fireworks lower was in part because of concerns after the 2008 fire on top of the Monte Carlo Hotel. Those problems have now been resolved. Fireworks will be shot from seven locations including the new Aria Hotel at CityCenter.

Prive Nightclub Owners File for Bankruptcy in Fla.

The owners of a nightclub and lounge on the Las Vegas Strip have filed for bankruptcy protection in Florida.

Prive Vegas LLC and PVPH LLC filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in federal bankruptcy court on Wednesday, saying they want to keep the Prive and Living Room nightclubs open at the Planet Hollywood casino-resort.

Prive says in court documents that it has less than $50,000 in assets and between $1 million and $10 million in liabilities.

A judge on Thursday approved a motion letting the club employees receive pay and benefits.

Prive was shut down in July after county officials revoked its liquor license. It reopened four weeks later after new owners came in, and it now operates under a 90-day license.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

The Stripper Mobile Draws Controversy on Las Vegas Blvd.

You've probably spotted a moving billboard truck on the Las Vegas Strip a time or two. But one local gentlemen's club is taking their advertising campaign to a whole new level -- and some believe it may be over the top.

The Deja Vu nightclub now has some of their dancers in a special truck equipped with a pole and see thru windows and it's driving up and down Las Vegas Boulevard nightly.

The nightclub says it's just another way to attract more customers. They also say so far it's paid off because business is booming. But some aren't so sure about the idea and say it's a bit over the top, even for Las Vegas.

“It's about the bottom line and putting customers in the club,” said Larry Beard with Deja Vu. “We are in a recession, so every little bit of business helps.”

Wounded Troops Get Trip to Las Vegas

This Veterans Day, Las Vegas is honoring wounded military men and women who risked their lives in war. Close to 200 are in town for a special four-day, all expenses paid getaway.

Meeting these fine men and women, you can't help but say thank you. To them, visiting the Strip is a first -- a place they are excited to see, something that gives them a break from all the medical care they need, and a chance for them for just a few days to forget what they've been through.

SLIDESHOW: Veterans Day 2009 in Las Vegas

It's a much different landing than they’re used to. The Clark County Fire Department sprayed water onto their plane and crew members down below waved and cheered their arrival.

MGM Mirage Releases 3rd Quarter Report

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- MGM Mirage says it lost $750.4 million in its third quarter largely because the value of its latest casino project has fallen as gamblers spend less during the recession.

The loss of $1.70 per share the company is reporting Thursday contrasts with a profit of $61.3 million, or 22 cents per share, in the period a year earlier.

The results included charges of $1.72 per share tied mostly to  the CityCenter project MGM Mirage is building with Dubai World on the Las Vegas Strip. It starts opening next month.

MGM Mirage, in which billionaire Kirk Kerkorian has said he may cut his stake, says revenue fell 15 percent to $1.53 billion from $1.79 billion. Analysts forecast a loss of 7 cents per share on revenue of $1.47 billion.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Sentencing for Fatal Las Vegas Bombing Delayed

LAS VEGAS, Nv. -- Two illegal immigrants who face life in prison without parole will not be sentenced until January 2010. Thye were scheduled to be sentenced Thursday for a bombing that killed a hot dog stand vendor outside a Las Vegas Strip casino in 2007.

The 29-year-old bombmaker, Porfirio Duarte-Herrera of Nicaragua, and 34-year-old co-defendant Omar Rueda-Denvers of Guatemala appeared Thursday before Clark County District Court Judge Michael Villani.

Rueda-Denvers also uses the name Alexander Perez. Jurors spared the two men from the death penalty after finding them guilty in August of first-degree murder and other charges.

The bomb placed atop a parked car killed 24-year-old Willebaldo Dorantes Antonio outside the Luxor resort. Jurors were told the motive was revenge against Dorantes Antonio for dating Rueda-Denvers' ex-girlfriend.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)