Fire at Treasure Island Caused by Swamp Cooler | News
LAS VEGAS -- A small fire in an air conditioning unit was quickly put out Tuesday morning at Treasure Island Casino and Resort.
Although black smoke could be seen coming from the roof of the hotel, the fire never entered the building, according to Michelle Knoll, Treasure Island Senior Vice President of Communications. Parts of multiple floors were evacuated as smoke was seen from the 24th through 36th floors, with the 36th floor receiving the heaviest smoke.
Clark County spokesperson Stacey Welling said the fire started after a swamp cooler malfunctioned, sending smoke into the hotel.
The smoke was most visible on the 36th floor, where most of the people were evacuated, she said. Smoke could be smelled on some of the other floors, prompting firefighters to evacuate those areas, too.
She said 14 people were checked at the hotel by medical personnel, primarily for smoke irritation issues.
Welling said the fire was a two-alarm response, which is standard for any call of fire in a high-rise building. A total of 41 units and 90 fire personnel are at the property.
The damage estimate is about $20,000, Welling said.