Our network

Florida man wins $1M on slot machine at The Cosmopolitan

An Orlando, Florida man is leaving Las Vegas with some extra money in his pocket after hitting a jackpot at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.

The man, Lyle, who is only releasing his first name publicly, was playing a Homer Simpson slot machine with his girlfriend for about 20 minutes when he hit the jackpot of $1,033,339.

The Cosmopolitan paid out a jackpot of $400,000 to another guest last month celebrating his 21st birthday... Read More

Community Sponsors

Brazen thief jumps over counter to steal money at SLS

Metro Police are looking for a brazen thief after a man stole cash from the SLS Monday morning.

According to officers, around 9:30 a.m. a man jumped over a counter and grabbed the cash. Police said the man wasn't armed, and no one was threatened.

However, officers are still trying to locate the suspect. There wasn't any other information released.

The incident is being treated as larceny... Read More

Police release photo of New York-New York robbery suspect

Metro Police have released a photo of man they are calling a suspect in the robbery of a Las Vegas Strip casino-hotel.

According to police, the suspect, armed with a handgun, robbed the casino cage of the New York-New York around 12:45 a.m. Wednesday.

The suspect is described as black male around 30 to 35 years old, wearing a black beanie cap, black hooded jacket, dark jeans, black shoes, black mechanic gloves and black rimmed glasses.

Anyone with information is urged to call Metro's Robbery Section at (702) 828-3591, or to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at (702) 385-5555 or go to www.crimestoppersofnv.com.... Read More

Police looking for man who robbed Las Vegas Strip casino

Police are looking for a man who robbed a Las Vegas Strip casino-hotel.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Lt. David Gordon says a man armed with a handgun on Tuesday night demanded money from a cashier at the casino cage of the New York-New York.

Gordon says the cashier handed over an undisclosed amount of money. He says the man kept the gun in his waistband and fled on foot.

Casino-hotel owner MGM Resorts International did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday morning... Read More

Community Sponsors

Tourism agency: Fewer visitors came to Las Vegas in 2017

The agency responsible for promoting Las Vegas says preliminary numbers show that fewer people visited the destination in 2017.

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority says more than 42.2 million people traveled to the area. That's a 1.7 percent decrease compared to 2016.

The agency attributed the drop to the mass shooting on Oct. 1 and a temporary reduction in available rooms as several hotels underwent renovations.

While the overall number of visitors fell last year, convention attendance increased 5. 2 percent, setting a record. The agency says more than 6.6 million people participated in conventions, which included the triennial large Conexpo-Con/Agg international construction trade show.

Revenue per available room, a key measure for hotels and resorts, reached almost $115. That's up 2.1 percent compared to 2016... Read More

Luck runs out for Lucky Dragon

The Lucky Dragon resort and casino doesn't appear to be so lucky.

After opening its door just over a year ago, the Chinese-themed hotel abruptly closed the casino and restaurants Thursday morning.

Lucky Dragon is on the north end of the Las Vegas Strip on Sahara Avenue, just west of Las Vegas Boulevard.

Some employees told 8 News NOW, although they are not surprised by the news, they were not aware it was happening Thursday morning.

Customers who tried to enter the casino found the doors locked and signs of the closure posted.

"It's kinda shocking," said Matt Cornelius, patron.

He was gambling there during the overnight hours and when he came back to try his luck again, he found the doors closed.

"I went over to the hotel and they were like it's closed for a minute, they didn't say exactly how long," he said.

In a statement, the owners of Lucky Dragon write:... Read More

Las Vegas Strip bollard installation on hold after pay dispute

Approval for additional steel posts along the Las Vegas Strip is on hold as southern Nevada commissioners investigate a pay dispute.

The Clark County Commission planned on approving the installation of 500 safety bollards Tuesday, but decided to postpone the vote by at least two weeks.

Nevada Foundation for Fair Contracting Director Lou DeSalvio says three workers claim Muller Construction has been paying them at a lower rate than they were promised.

The company's Vice President of Marketing and Sales J.D. Calhoun says it's the first he's heard of the complaint.

The county is unable to continue working with the company until the pay dispute is resolved... Read More