Our network

U.S. online gambling estimate cut 30 percent

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) -- Morgan Stanley lowered its estimate of the U.S. Internet gambling market on Tuesday to $3.5 billion by 2017, down from a previous forecast of $5 billion.

The Wall Street firm cited worse-than-expected technical issues in its projection, but said it's optimistic about the new industry's long-term prospects. It forecast an $8 billion market by 2020 compared to its initial $9.3 billion estimate.

"While we remain bullish on the online gaming opportunity in the U.S., we are lowering our estimates to better reflect the insights we have gained following the first few months of operations in New Jersey, Nevada and Delaware," the company wrote in a research note.

Community Sponsors

'Thunder From Down Under' suspect appears in court

Joey Kadmiri

LAS VEGAS -- The man accused of getting into a brawl with performers from the "Thunder From Down Under" made his initial court appearance Monday after refusing to appear in court last week.

Joey Kadmiri, 24, is facing 16 felony counts including attempted murder, armed robbery, burglary and weapon charges.

Police say Kadmiri attempted to loot the dressing room of the performers at the Excalibur Hotel and when he was confronted, he fired a shot and got into a scuffle with cast members. One cast member was treated for minor injuries after being struck by flying debris.

During a jailhouse interview with 8 News NOW last week, Kadmiri said he struggles with mental health and drug problems. He claims he was unarmed and was back stage because he thought someone was chasing him.

Kadmiri's preliminary hearing is set for April 7 at 9 a.m.

'Thunder From Down Under' suspect claims mental issues

LAS VEGAS -- In a jailhouse interview, the man accused of getting into a scuffle with "Thunder From Down Under" performers earlier this week says he has mental health and drug problems.

Joey Kadmiri talked from the Clark County Detention Center Friday and denied the allegations against him.

"They beat me up," Kadmiri said.

He is bruised after a fight with performers Tuesday night at the Excalibur's "Thunder From Down Under." He is in jail on attempted murder, robbery, and burglary charges.

"I remember exactly what happened. I know for a fact that I didn't try to hurt anybody, ma'am, look at me. Are you going to try to tell me I tried to hurt somebody?" Kadmiri told 8 News NOW reporter Vanessa Murphy.

Police say Kadmiri was caught backstage by performers wearing a few of their costume pieces and claiming a suitcase full of their stuff was his.

'Thunder From Down Under' suspect refuses to go to court

LAS VEGAS -- A man accused of firing a gun during a backstage "Thunder From Down Under" robbery attempt refused to attend an initial court appearance, and a Las Vegas judge reset the date.

Court officers said Joey Kadmiri, 24, balked Friday at leaving jail for his appearance on felony attempted murder, armed robbery, burglary and weapon charges.

Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Deborah Lippis reset Kadmiri's hearing for Monday.

As it turns out, this isn't Kadmiri's first brush with the law.

Court documents show Kadmiri was involved in a violent fight in Nov. 2013. In that case, police said Kadmiri threatened a woman with a gun, assaulted her, and forced her into a closet at gunpoint.

Three years earlier, records show police tried to arrest Kadmiri on a felony warrant. Kadmiri attempted to run for officers but police tracked him down.

Community Sponsors

Spring on display at the Bellagio Conservatory

Spring on display at the Bellagio Conservatory

Spring has sprung at the Bellagio's Conservatory and Botanical Gardens.

The hotel's famous garden is now showing off its spring display, which includes a total of 83,000 fresh flowers, 14-foot-tall tulips and 22-foot-tall yellow daffodils.

The display features 800 live butterflies, originating from Costa Rica, the Philippines and Kenya. The butterflies are kept inside a 36-foot-long greenhouse in the East Garden.

The spring display will be in place through May 11. 

Jury selection underway in comedian's Las Vegas suit

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Comedian George Wallace is in a Las Vegas courtroom seeking damages from a resort and a credit card company for a leg injury he received when he tripped over electrical wiring while performing in 2007.

Jury selection continued Thursday in Clark County District Court for the trial of the lawsuit filed in 2009.

It claims Wallace suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon during a private show at the Bellagio resort for an HSBC Card Services Inc. corporate audience.

Wallace is seeking unspecified damages of more than $50,000 for the injury and lost income.

The companies deny responsibility.

In court documents, attorneys for Bellagio say Wallace was careless.

The 61-year-old Wallace has been a headline entertainer since 2004 at the Flamingo hotel-casino on the Strip.

Vegas union plans strike vote as casinos negotiate

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Las Vegas hotel workers are weighing whether to authorize their leaders to call a strike at nearly all downtown casinos and several Strip independent properties.

The Culinary Union remains in negotiations with 13 independent casinos. Contracts expired over the summer, meaning that workers now have the right to strike and picket in front of their workplaces.

The union, the state's largest, plans to hold a vote next week on whether to authorize a strike.

The casinos still in negotiations include the D, Four Queens, Golden Nugget, Golden Gate, Binion's and El Cortez.

Several casino companies have already settled, including MGM Resorts International and Caesars Entertainment Corp., which together control a majority of the Strip. Independent casinos the Stratosphere, Riviera, Tropicana, and Treasure Island have also settled.