Our network

Caesars Entertainment Makes Progress on the Linq

LAS VEGAS - The long-awaited Strip attraction the Linq is showing signs of progress. The shopping and entertainment complex is expected to change the skyline of the Strip, bringing in new attractions.

The Linq is a massive $550 million project by Caesars Entertainment located next to the Quad hotel. It will feature an open-air, pedestrian-only district packed with dining, entertainment and retail.

It will also feature a 550-foot observation wheel called "The High Roller". The ride will be the centerpiece of the Linq. It will include 28 glass-enclosed cabins with a perfect view of Las Vegas.

Tourists say they are excited about the new look and experience the Linq is expected to bring.

Community Sponsors

Wynn Earnings Fall Short as Macau Growth Stalls

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Wynn Resorts Ltd. says it made less money than expected in the Chinese gambling enclave of Macau, and its second quarter missed analysts' forecasts.

Excluding special items Wynn made $1.51 per share on revenue of $1.33 billion in the latest quarter.

Analysts polled by FactSet forecast, on average, earnings of $1.57 per share on revenue of $1.34 billion

Revenue from Wynn's two properties on the recently sluggish Strip soared by 16.2 percent compared with last year. But revenue in the usually robust Macau market was up by just 2.6 percent, due in part to hotel renovations that limited the number of available rooms.

Total revenue was up by 6.3 percent.

Wynn shares rose 18 cents to $131.16 in afternoon trading.

Las Vegas Casino Expansion Pushes Out 9/11 Memorial

Las Vegas Casino Expansion Pushes Out 9/11 Memorial

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- This city known for detonating its past to make way for gleaming new development is preparing to bulldoze its Sept. 11 memorial.

The memorial on the Las Vegas Strip sprung up spontaneously under the ersatz skyline of the New York-New York casino in the days after the terrorist attacks. A rotating collection of first responder T-shirts has decorated a railing near a faux fireboat for more than a decade.

Now, MGM Resorts International is starting a $100 million renovation of the promenade in front of New York-New York and the adjoining Monte Carlo casino. The memorial will have to go.

MGM spokesman Clark Dumont said in a statement Friday that the casino company is working with local first responders to relocate the memorial.

 

MGM Grand Showcase Coming to Las Vegas

LAS VEGAS - Las Vegas has been hoops heaven in recent weeks. The NBA Summer League, USA basketball and Amateur Athletic Union basketball took place this summer. More is on the way.

Wednesday afternoon, MGM Grand representatives announced college basketball players from around the country will head to Las Vegas this year.

Four days before Christmas, the Grand Garden Arena hosts four of the top college basketball programs in the country - Marquette, New Mexico, Oklahoma State and Colorado - in a doubleheader dubbed the MGM Grand Showcase.

Community Sponsors

Las Vegas Sands Posts Underwhelming Profit for 2Q

Las Vegas Sands Posts Underwhelming Profit for 2Q

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Las Vegas Sands Corp.'s success continued in Macau, helping net income more than double in the second quarter. But growth was tepid in Las Vegas, and Wall Street expected stronger results.

Revenue more than doubled at some of Las Vegas Sands' five Macau properties. Macau is the only place in China where gambling is legal.

But sales rose less than 6 percent at its two Las Vegas casinos, the Venetian and Palazzo.

The company run by billionaire CEO Sheldon Adelson said Wednesday that it earned $529.8 million, or 64 cents per share, up from $ $240.6 million, or 29 cents per share. Revenue grew 26 percent to $3.24 billion.

Analysts polled by FactSet predicted 67 cents per share on $3.3 billion.

The stock is down 1.2 percent in aftermarket trading.

 

Trial Date Set for Saudi Arabia Air Force Sgt. Accused of Rape

Trial Date Set for Saudi Arabia Air Force Sgt. Accused of Rape

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- A Nevada judge set trial Oct. 7 for a Saudi Arabia air force sergeant accused of raping a 13-year-old boy at a Las Vegas Strip hotel on New Year's Eve.

Prosecutor Mary Kay Holthus said Monday that DNA evidence shows the 23-year-old aircraft mechanic had physical contact with the boy.

Clark County District Court Judge Stefany Miley also decided that four witnesses can't testify by Internet hookup from Saudi Arabia, and that bail for Mazen Alotaibi will remain $1.7 million.

Alotaibi is jailed pending trial.

He previously not guilty to charges including kidnapping, lewdness and sexual assault with a minor in the Dec. 31 incident.

Defense attorney Don Chairez will ask the judge Aug. 1 to throw out a statement that police say Alotaibi provided following his arrest.

New Restaurants Popping Up Around the Valley

Several new restaurants are opening around the valley offering a variety of dining choices.

Conversations that begin with, "Where should we eat?" will become a little more prolonged this summer. An eclectic array of restaurants will be opening their doors and whetting appetites across the Las Vegas Valley.

Read more in the Las Vegas Sun.