Our network

MGM facing backlash over lawsuit against mass shooting victims

MGM Resorts is facing backlash over its decision to file a lawsuit against the victims of the mass shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival on Oct. 1.

The social media movement against MGM has gained steam and could end up costing the company in more ways than one.

MGM is citing a 2002 law known as the Safety Act which was passed in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks. The law protects companies when a terrorist attack or incident of mass violence occurs if they use security services certified by the Department of Homeland Security.

The security company CSC that it hired for the concert was certified under the Safety Act.

Brian Claypool is an attorney representing more than 75 survivors and is a survivor of 1 October. He was in the front row of the Route 91 Harvest Festival when gunfire broke out. He argues the Safety Act doesn't protect MGM because Paddock wasn't a member of ISIS or Al Qaeda or any other organized terrorist group... Read More

Community Sponsors

Properties on Las Vegas Strip switch some things up to cater to millennials

Millennials are taking over Las Vegas: The 20 to 30 years old age bracket made up the largest age demographic of visitors last year.

With that said, millennials aren't coming to Las Vegas to gamble.

8 News NOW Reporter Orko Manna how properties on the Strip are doing things to cater to their needs. ... Read More

Millennials cater vacations to most 'Instagramable' spots

'Doing it for the gram!' That has become a popular slogan amongst people who post an idealistic life featuring, opulence and fabulous-living and travel on Instagram. In fact, the popular photo-sharing app is impacting travel trends around the world.

A survey from Schofield's reveals that more millennials prioritize picture-worthiness when it comes to choosing their vacation destinations, and many want to capture the picture perfect moment in Las Vegas.

"Just looking for the best shot," said Shy Taylor, a Brooklyn, New York visitor.

The goal for many millennials when they're deciding where to travel is based on photos they see on Instagram.

"I'm actually doing a Snapchat documentary of just me traveling all kinds of places; showing my friends, hey I can get out here too," said Latasha Walter, Fort Worth, Texas... Read More

Wynn VP Kim Sinatra to leave job

The number two person at Wynn Resorts is out.

In an SEC filing, Wynn said Kim Sinatra will no longer serve as general counsel, executive vice president, and secretary.

Her depature is effective July 15.

Sinatra has been under pressure since Elaine Wynn testified in court that in 2009 she told Sinatra about Steve Wynn's sexual harassment settlement with a woman in 2005.

That settlement started a string of revelations that led to Wynn's resignation from the company he founded... Read More

Community Sponsors

Nevada casino winnings back above $1B in May

Nevada casino winnings moved back above the $1 billion mark in May, a 9.4 percent increase from April and 5.3 percent more than May 2017.

The Nevada Gaming Control Board reported Friday the so-called "gaming win" totaled $1.04 billion in May.

Nevada casinos earned $954 million from gamblers the month before, the first time since January the monthly statewide figure had fallen below $1 billion.

For the fiscal year running from July 1 through May 31, the nearly $10.9 billion in winnings represent a 3.14 percent increase from the same 11 months a year ago.

The Las Vegas Strip casinos saw winnings increase more than 6.3 percent from May 2017, to $581.5 million. That was more than half the statewide total. The only declines statewide were in downtown Las Vegas, 3.5 percent, and the Boulder Strip, 0.2 percent. ... Read More

Non-existent deal with Strip properties signals threat of strike; Caesars has tentative agreement

There appears to be a tentative labor agreement that would cover about a quarter of the 50,000 hotel and casino workers that are threatening to strike in Las Vegas.

The Culinary Workers Union Local 226 said in a tweet Friday that the new five-year deal covers about 12,000 workers at nine Caesars Entertainment casino resorts on the Las Vegas Strip. But negotiations went nowhere with the majority of the other properties.

"It's not fair for them to be holding us back," said Karina Castro-Martinez, convention set up at Mandalay Bay. "They're growing, they're thriving and we deserve the same thing and that's what we're fighting for."

Tens of thousands of bartenders, housekeepers, bellmen and other unionized workers at 34 casino-hotels on the Strip and in downtown Las Vegas have sought a new, five-year contract since February. The current contracts expired at midnight... Read More

Union: tentative labor deal struck with Caesars

There appears to be a tentative labor agreement that would cover about a quarter of the 50,000 hotel and casino workers that are threatening to strike in Las Vegas.

The Culinary Workers Union Local 226 said in a tweet Friday that the new five-year deal covers about 12,000 workers at nine casino resorts on the Las Vegas Strip. Tens of thousands of bartenders, housekeepers, bellmen and other unionized workers at 34 casino-hotels on the Strip and in downtown Las Vegas have sought a new, five-year contract since February.

The current contracts expired at midnight.

Ninety-nine percent of about 25,000 workers voted last week to authorize a strike after contracts expire. No date has been set, but they've started signing up for strike pay, financial assistance and picketing shifts. ... Read More