Our network

Photo released of suspect in Hooters sports book robbery

Police have released surveillance tape of an armed robber who held up the sports book at the Hooters hotel-casino on the Las Vegas Strip.

Las Vegas police say the man armed with a large revolver demanded cash from an employee at the casino near Las Vegas Boulevard and Tropicana at about 6 p.m. Monday. They say he made off with an undetermined amount of cash.

Photos from the surveillance tape indicate he is black man, about 6-foot-1, possibly in his mid-thirties. He was wearing a black baseball cap, pink shirt, and blue jeans.

Anyone with information should call the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department at 702-828-3855 or Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555.... Read More

Community Sponsors

Nevada gambling revenue down 2 percent in April

State officials say Nevada gambling revenue was down more than 2 percent in April compared with last year.

The Nevada Gaming Control Board said Thursday that the state's casinos won $876 million in April.

Revenue fell in the areas with the most gambling activity. Las Vegas Strip gambling revenue was down almost 2 percent to $491 million last month, and downtown Las Vegas winnings were down 13 percent to $43 million.

Casinos up north fared better. Reno casino revenue was up almost 19 percent to $50 million.

South Lake Tahoe revenue fell 12 percent to $13 million in April.

The state collected $44 million in tax money based off the winnings, which is down 18 percent from the same time last year. ... Read More

Las Vegas Monorail seeks expansion

A major proposal could shape the future of transit in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Monorail is working to expand south to the Mandalay Bay Hotel-Casino. The project goes before the Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee Thursday, but not everyone thinks this is the best way to reduce traffic on the Strip.

With more than 65 million riders since opening in 2004, the Las Vegas Monorail is looking to expand, but some want to see a different plan.

"It gets you there. It does its purpose, but it doesn't do it very well, and it's an old approach to doing this," said Las Vegas Monorail critic David Friedman.

He says he has researched the latest technology. He wants other ideas to be considered to help travelers navigate the Strip.

"What I propose is doing an above ground, along the center line, moving walkway under an air conditioned tube," he said.

8 News NOW asked visitors for their input... Read More

Las Vegas Sands planning 17,500-seat concert venue

The Las Vegas Sands has announced plans to build a 17,500-seat concert hall behind its Venetian and Palazzo casinos.

The company said it was partnering with Madison Square Garden Company on the 400,000-square-foot venue, which would be specifically designed for music and entertainment but might also host UFC fight events.

All seats would be in front of the stage, and the hall would feature luxury seating options, clubs and lounges.

The venue would be privately funded. The partner companies aren't disclosing the expected cost or completion date.

The proposal comes about a month after the Sands' competitor, MGM Resorts, opened a 20,000-seat arena for sports and concerts.

It also comes as Sands is pushing for a $1.4 billion professional football-grade stadium at least half-funded by tax revenue... Read More

Community Sponsors

Sands is primary donor to effort to break NV Energy monopoly

Campaign finance reports show the Las Vegas Sands is almost singlehandedly funding a ballot effort to break up NV Energy's monopoly.

The casino company previously declined to say whether it was involved with the Energy Choice Initiative, which would change the constitution to give customers the right to choose their energy provider and sell power to others.

Disclosure forms filed Tuesday show Sands contributed $500,000 to the initiative petition effort, which needs more than 55,000 valid signatures to qualify for the November ballot.

MGM Resorts contributed the remaining $10,000 to the effort's PAC.

Sands applied to leave NV Energy and fought against a $24 million exit fee imposed by regulators, but recently abandoned its application.

MGM is proceeding with its exit proposal and plans to pay an $87 million fee... Read More

Sands is primary donor to effort to break NV Energy monopoly

Campaign finance reports show the Las Vegas Sands is almost singlehandedly funding a ballot effort to break up NV Energy's monopoly.

The casino company previously declined to say whether it was involved with the Energy Choice Initiative, which would change the constitution to give customers the right to choose their energy provider and sell power to others.

Disclosure forms filed Tuesday show Sands contributed $500,000 to the initiative petition effort, which needs more than 55,000 valid signatures to qualify for the November ballot.

MGM Resorts contributed the remaining $10,000 to the effort's PAC.

Sands applied to leave NV Energy and fought against a $24 million exit fee imposed by regulators, but recently abandoned its application.

MGM is proceeding with its exit proposal and plans to pay an $87 million fee... Read More

MGM moving forward with bid to leave NV Energy in October

Casino giant MGM Resorts says it plans to leave NV Energy in the fall, while Wynn Resorts is leaving its options open to do the same.

The companies filed documents with the Public Utilities Commission of Nevada this week after months of back-and-forth with regulators.

Wynn, MGM and Las Vegas Sands filed applications last year to leave and seek other energy providers on the wholesale market. They fought back when regulators imposed hefty "exit fees" as a condition of their departure.

But MGM said Thursday it will pay the $87 million fee, which covers costs the utility company incurred expecting that MGM would stay on board.

Sands effectively ended its effort by missing a deadline, but a spokesman told the Las Vegas Sun it will remain active on energy issues... Read More